USC Defensive Driving Program
USC Safety Policy and Fact Sheet
All employees authorized to drive University owned vehicles are required to
take a Defensive Driving course. New employees who are assigned to duties which
include driving a vehicle have 90 days from hire date or the date they assume their driving duties,
to take the course. Employees continuing to drive vehicles must take a refresher
course every three years. For more information on additional requirements review the
Safety Fact Sheet provided by the Environmental Health and Safety Office.
For a complete list of University Policies provided by the Environmental Health and
Safety Office, including the entire Vehicle/Driver Safety Policy, click here.
USCTransportation offers two options for taking the Defensive Driving Course, an online,
self paced version and a live classroom session. Both options are recognized by the
University and are the only options for fulfilling the requirements put forth by the
Environmental Health and Safety Office with regards to driving a University-owned vehicle.
Online Training Version
Now you can complete the required Defensive Driving Course at the comfort of your own computer!
This course uses case studies, audio clips and short quizzes making it an interactive experience
you can finish at your own pace. The course will review safety driving tips and teach you specific
rules regarding cart driving on campus.
- The course will take anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on your speed and comprehension level.
- Once you have registered for the course, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to the online course, a username and password for personal use.
- You have five working days to complete the course. You can start and stop the course at any time. Just use your username and password to log back into the course. It will save the place you last left off.
- You must pass a review test at the end of the course before receiving your certificate.
- You can download and print your certificate right from your computer.
Live Classroom Sessions
This interactive, 4-hour course will be held in a classroom setting.
Participants will review safety driving tips and learn about specific
rules regarding cart driving on campus. A short video and workbook will be reviewed in the class.
- Class starts promptly at 8:00am. Instructor may ask late participants to reschedule. Dates and locations subject to change due to availability.
- Certificates will be mailed to your department after completion of the course and receipt of payment.
Please bring with you to class:
1. Your valid California Driver’s License
2. A pen or pencil
Directions to the Training Locations
Facilities Management Services (FMS) is located at 3434 S. Grand, Los Angeles - Room CDF 101.
Course Fees differ based on what training option you choose and the number of participants who
register from your department.
- All payments must be made by internal requisition made out to USC Transportation. A copy of the requisition must be faxed to Defensive Driving at (800) 390-2258 or scanned and emailed to email@example.com.
- PLEASE NOTE: Include the name of the participant(s) and indicate either "online training" or the date of the live classroom session each participant will attend.
- To register large live-session groups of 20 people or more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.